Wisdom Tooth Extraction
What is wisdom tooth Extraction ?
Wisdom teeth removal is a common oral surgery procedure. It’s often recommended as a preventative measure to protect your other teeth from future problems and preserve your oral health. Wisdom teeth removal is the extraction of your third molars — the four permanent adult teeth located in the very back of your mouth, in the upper and lower jaws. Wisdom teeth usually erupt between the ages of 17 and 21. Most people have all four of their wisdom teeth.
How do I know if I need to get my wisdom teeth removed?
Sometimes wisdom teeth grow in at an angle or stay fully or partially trapped (impacted) in the jawbone or under the gum tissue. This can cause a range of problems. Dentist may recommend wisdom teeth extraction if:
- Have dental pain near the back of your mouth.
- Develop gum disease, particularly around molars.
- Have tooth decay (cavities) in a partially erupted wisdom tooth.
- Develop a cyst (fluid-filled sac) around one or more wisdom teeth.
- Have sustained damage to nearby teeth or surrounding bone.
Benefits of Wisdom tooth removal
Reduces the risk for future oral health problems such as gum disease, tooth decay, damage to adjacent teeth, bone loss and jaw damage. If you’ve already developed pain because of wisdom tooth, then extraction can alleviate discomfort almost immediately and get back on track to optimal oral health.